Book Club No. 10



Happy Friday you lovely lot! This week, I thought I ought to update you guys on some of my most recent reads because it's been a little while since I last posted a book review post. I'm super pleased to see how many things I've read this year already but unfortunately, over this last month or so, I've fallen out of love again with reading and need to reignite the spark a little. I think it's a mix of reading just *okay* books and also feeling more tired on my commutes to work that have been catalysts for the slow in my book-reading-motivation, but I'm hoping it picks up again soon! But for now, here's a few things that have graced my peepers recently and here's what I think of them:

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a big fan of the Jurassic Park movies - as a kid I wanted to be a palaeontologist and I've got a T.Rex tattooed on my sternum - but weirdly I have never read any of the books until now. First thing I have to say is if you're a fan of the original Jurassic Park trilogy, this book is like some sort of weird amalgamation of the first and second films and I guess when it came to directing them, they've clearly looked at the book and thought it was best to partition it. Therefore if you're going to read this after already seeing the movies, you need to enter the story with an open mind because it's very different yet similar. If you're unfamiliar with Jurassic Park, it is a story about a very very rich (albeit pretty crazy) old man who endeavours to build an island resort for people to vacation to. This resort is different to any others in the world though as it will be full of genetically engineered dinosaurs which are patented to the island and therefore the resort will be the only prehistoric safari park/zoo in the world. The story opens when various individuals from lawyers, mathematicians, to (obviously) palaeontologists are invited to review the park and get a sneak preview before it opens for the public.

I really did enjoy reading this despite it being different to what I expected because of the films. I found it difficult to imagine the characters in my own minds eye because I imagined each character as looking like the actor who plays them in the movies, but generally that fit just fine as the characters were portrayed true to the book for the most part. One thing I did struggle with is the fact that John Hammond isn't the cute loveable Attenborough from the big screen oh no - he's a whiny, spoilt, child-like old man who literally stomps his feet if he doesn't get his own way. He is incredibly heartless at times in the story and I found that such a surprise as he comes across as such a loving and caring man in the film franchise. However, I'm a big believer in separating the book version to film/TV versions as often what works on paper doesn't work on the screen and vice versa so as a standalone story, I did really enjoy this. If you're a fan of Jurassic Park then obviously you need to read this, but if you're a fan of fast paced action that has a scientific or educational element to it, you'll definitely love this too. You can pick up a copy of Jurassic Park in various formats from audio to hardcover, here.

Mirror Mirror by Gregory Maguire
The next book I read recently was Mirror Mirror - an alternative telling of Snow White by popular author, Greory Maguire (yep, that guy who wrote Wicked - the alternative telling of the Wizard of Oz). Snow White is one of my favourite Disney films, folklore/fairytales, and I like any sort of retelling of the original so I wanted to give this a read to see what sort of spin it was going to have. The general story of Snow White for those who don't know is that she is the daughter of a king, the king remarries and usually there is an evil step mother queen character who orders the death of Snow because she's the fairest in the land and she's jealous of her. There's often dwarves who Snow White lives with and sometimes she gets a happy ending. There's lots of retellings of this story and they all widely vary but this one was a little different to anything I had encountered before.

Maguire's retelling has a lot to do with Snow White's dad which usually, he's killed off quite early in the story but he's actually quite a central character in Mirror Mirror. I won't mention too much in case you want to read it for yourselves, but this story goes into great depth looking more at the relationships Snow White forges as she grows up and how they form her personality. I did like this retelling as it was unique in a lot of ways, but I struggled a little bit with Maguire's writing style. There wasn't anything particularly bad about it, I just got lost a few times and had to re-read pages/paragraphs because the writing felt a little flowery and so heavily descriptive, I missed the point of the sentence etc. however, if you like fairytales and/or you're a huge fan of Wicked, you will 1Oo% like this book, too. Grab a copy of Mirror Mirror here.



The Wicked & The Divine Volume 1: The Faust Act by Kieron Gillen
Lastly, I thought I should mention a graphic novel series I've recently started that I had been lusting over for months. The first thing that caught my eye when it comes to this novel is the slick, clean cut design of the covers that is quite unique in the comic book world. Graphic novel covers are often quite busy and give a good insight into the contents of the book, but this one wasn't really giving away any information and that actually peaked my interest. To give you a little insight into the general story of The Wicked & The Divine, here's some info from the blurb:

"Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. Welcome to THE WICKED + THE DIVINE, where gods are the ultimate pop stars. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever."

So the story basically centres around twelve gods who become mortal every ninety years and this time around, they've decided to become pop stars, rap stars, and rock gods. This time around however, someone wants them dead and although they disappear after two years, this isn't good enough and they need to be dead. When first starting the story, Gillen throws readers straight into it and doesn't leave much space for explanations so you do just feel like you're getting swept along with the tide until you start to understand things a little more. This isn't a criticism of the writing/story style though as I feel it really helps get across this idea of only having two years before they die - they need to do as much as they can in that short time and the countdown is forever looming over the gods' heads and the story gets that across to the reader almost instantly. As you can imagine, there's a morbid tone to the story from the get-go and even though the creative team behind this series are the guys who brought the world Young Avengers, The Wicked & The Divine definitely has a more grown-up and gloomy feeling to it. This first volume, although fast paced, introduces the reader to the characters in a great way and you guys, Jamie McKelvie's artwork throughout the comic is just gorgeous. I really love the art style in this series and it fits the genre really well. The story obviously has a superhero fantasy element to it, but it's kind of mixed with a murder mystery style and I think it makes for a great pairing. I saw someone describe it as the TV show Skins with a sprinkling of mythology and whilst they were saying it in a negative way, I actually think that is a near perfect description of it. It is very much a teenage angst sort of comic, but I like it and the fantasy elements of it make it all the better. I'm really looking forward to reading the rest! If you're intrigued and want to grab a copy, you can get the paperback here for £8.99.


Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment