SLIDER

WELCOME


Self care, skin care, & nurturing Mother Nature.

Read more here

Trying to live a more minimal and conscious life in search of pure happiness and joy

The Cruelty Free Carnivore



If you follow me on my social media and if you’re a regular reader (particularly my beauty posts), you may have seen me chatting about how I’m making the transition to completely cruelty free beauty from haircare to skincare to cosmetics. For some reason it has taken til the ripe old age of 26 to finally make that jump to a CF lifestyle in this area of my life and I’m not entirely sure why. I think cruelty free beauty is becoming more and more recognisable and abundant in the contemporary beauty industry with stores like Superdrug advocating the leaping bunny logo on CF products and it being a topic that is more widely discussed on the net and in various forms of media in general. I think this is a fantastic shift in our society as we are more aware of what CF beauty is and which products are and are not because honestly? It’s not something I ever remember being a topic when I was a teen starting out with makeup.

I never really knew anything about it until I got older and even now, I still feel it should be discussed more and more and brands especially should be more transparent about whether or not they test instead of not putting it out there then replying with cryptic emails and explanations if you happen to approach them about the subject. It’s something that should be talked about more because there’s so many young girls especially who will start experimenting with products without any inkling of brand ethics or what chemicals and ingredients are included in these products and who actually uses them to then decide “yeah, they’re suitable for mass production and sale”. It’s something I wish I was much more conscious of when I was younger as I feel this transition into a CF beauty life would have happened much sooner.

There’s another reason why it has taken me so long to transition though and this here is where I probably will get a little ranty and a whole lot of rambly so I apologise in advance and if you’re still intending to read on (especially after I used those two words that aren’t actually real words) then you’re a brave soul and I salute you.

So, this *other reason*... I am a meat eater. Since I was old enough to eat solid foods, I have been a meat eater and I’ve never really questioned it. I’m happy to eat vegetarian meals and I quite like making sure I eat more vegetarian meals in my diet now at this age as I’ve grown more and more conscious of the meat and dairy industries as I’ve gotten older. I had a good discussion over on Twitter when I asked followers what their thoughts were on those who eat meat but say they’re mindful of animal welfare and whether or not you can say you’re pro animal rights etc. if you eat meat and everyone had extremely varying but equally valid and well-argued points of view. My reason for asking this was because I have been so anti-animal testing – especially for cosmetics and beauty – for a lot of years but I hadn’t done anything about it until now. And why? Honestly I was scared of the reaction.



I fully believe that testing on animals for the sake of a lipstick or mascara is utterly ridiculous and should be a criminal offence – there’s no reason for it and it’s a research “technique” that is outdated however, how can I say that when I eat meat?! A couple of followers pointed this out and said “I don’t believe anyone can say they fully care about animal rights if they are still eating meat or dairy because the industries are so bad” and I partly agree with them. I’ve gotten so caught up – particularly in the last couple of years – battling with this idea myself but I realised the main driving force behind why I wasn’t committing to CF beauty was because of what others might think rather than what I think. I’ve been thinking “how can I say I want to be cruelty free with this aspect of my life when realistically, I’m not cruelty free with another part of my lifestyle?” and I guess because I’ve questioned myself, that means other individuals can certainly question me and I guess that made me uncomfortable. I like to be completely certain of myself and my choices so if anyone challenges me, I know that even if they cannot see my reasoning or point of view, I can at least argue my case and be sure of myself. Now though? Now I feel I am sure of my decision in this part of my life.

I sound like I’m getting incredibly deep here, but I guess that reflects how much this has eaten away at me and made me think. I’ve now transitioned to cruelty free in all aspects of “beauty” and I feel *so good* for it. As I mentioned earlier, the thought of buying non-cruelty free beauty products was just getting to me because the process of testing on an animal – for a luxury product that is not a necessity – seems completely alien to me. This is where I suppose I’ve drawn the line in my mind of what is “acceptable” for me personally and what is not.

Eating meat is the norm for me and it is a necessity. I know of course people quite easily and happily live on vegan and vegetarian diets, but as someone who has struggled with food throughout most of their life, meat is a bit of a crutch for me as I’ve had to rely on it for a lot of protein and fats in the past. I don’t eat all meats and I am more than happy to swap out meat for veggie options, but it’s something I enjoy and therefore I can justify it in my eyes. That’s not to say I buy any old thing and will always try my up-most to make sure my food shop only contains organic meat and dairy and is from reputable businesses. So from that standpoint I thought “hang on, if I’m being so conscious about *this* area of animal welfare, I certainly need to be doing the same in my beauty area”. As I said, beauty products are a luxury in my eyes – we don’t need them to survive and there’s undoubtedly an obvious clue in the fact that we often refer to makeup as "cosmetics" that they are purely for “cosmetic” purposes and therefore unnecessary in our existence. Sure they’re fun and I love to dabble in them, but they’re not needed therefore animals should not suffer in any extent for their production.



Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

© NB • Theme by Maira G.