Rome Photo Diary

Mountain View

As most of you will know if you follow me on Twitter and/or Instagram, I went on holiday to Rome, Italy earlier this month and had a swell time. Despite my health not being the best and having a raging flu for a few days whilst I was there, I still enjoyed myself and saw plenty of great things (not to mention ate a shit tonne of pizza - but more on that in another post). This was my first holiday with Matthew and it didn't disappoint - we both agreed we wanted to go somewhere hot and I really wanted to head to Italy as I previously had never been and I wanted to go somewhere where there was a lot of things to see and do - and good food wouldn't go amiss! So we settled on Rome and that was that.

I have so many posts lined up for you guys about my time there; from where is good to eat and where to avoid like the pitiful pizza plague, to a review of using AirBnB for the trip, to what sights to go and see depending on various interests (museums, shopping, food, art etc.). But to start off these holiday/travel posts, I figured a photo diary would be best. I took a disgusting 798 photos whilst away and although I came home and managed to get rid of a few, I still have a lot I would love to share. So let me start this series with a collection of my favourites or some that just don't fit into a particular post "theme" and hopefully it will give you a taste of what's to come over the next few weeks - enjoy!

Trastevere, ItalyLemon TreeFountain CarvingTrastevere, RomeBridge Statue, RomeRiver view, RomeRome ArchitectureRoma Architecture

As you can probably tell, I fell in love with the architecture. I'm a sucker for a good building anyway (yes, I genuinely just said that) but every corner I turned and every terracotta-coloured winding side street we scooted down made my jaw drop. I absolutely loved wandering around - if there's one piece of advice I would give anyone intending to visit Rome, I'd say go on foot everywhere. Sure, the buses, trains, metro, and tram services are efficient, air-conditioned, pretty cheap, and get you from A to B quickly, but you totally miss out on what's going on around you. You might have to dodge the odd speeding scooter down a narrow pathway and yeah, the pedestrian traffic light system is there but both pedestrians and vehicles ignore it (you get used to it trust me), but it's all worth it to soak in the art and vibe of the place. It's a truly beautiful city.

Rome ArchitectureRoma Street ArtRoma Shoe StoreCastel Sant'AngeloBridge ViewStreet LizardStreets of RomeStreets of Rome, ItalyThe Papal Basilica of St. Peter

Rome is far from a sleepy town. It doesn't matter what time of the day you head out, you will see lots of people out and about, going about their business. It's a busy, bustling place but its got such a relaxed attitude. Don't expect to get served super quickly in a restaurant - the waiters will take their sweet time, don't expect people to politely move out the way if they stop in the middle of the path to talk to someone - you will need to go around them... It's so relaxed you'd think it would be frustrating but somehow, it just works. It's a vibrant place with so much culture and history to absorb, but the general personality of it's people and its modern mix of lifestyle between the old and the new, Rome hits that sweet spot where it all works harmoniously. I can't wait to show you guys what I got up to.

- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

Post a Comment