SLIDER

WELCOME


Self care, skin care, & nurturing Mother Nature.

Read more here

Trying to live a more minimal and conscious life in search of pure happiness and joy

Beamish Museum: Part One



During the February half term, I decided to visit home and see family and friends whilst I knew I had free time to burn. Whilst I was home both my mama and brother were off work and school too so we decided to spend a day at Beamish Museum.

Beamish Museum is literally 10 minutes away from where I grew up but believe it or not, I can only ever remember visiting the place once and that was on a school trip many moons ago. It's a huge open-air museum which has little villages, farms and high streets set up to make you feel like you're actually wandering through history. The park consists of areas ranging from the early 1800's to the 1940's and have staff and volunteers working and acting throughout the museum. You can wander into a 1900's dentist and talk to the dentist himself about the procedures and equipment, or you can go and pet the pit-ponies and ask the farmers about how they used to go down the coal mines and help lug the coal to the surface. It's such a surreal place because it does make you feel like you've entered a time warp. The museum doesn't have a lot of areas that are laid out like your stereotypical museum - e.g. with notice boards of information. This means you have to rely on interacting with the staff and volunteers if you want to find out information or are particularly intrigued in anything. This is great especially for kids as they get to talk to someone rather than be bored trying to read endless amounts of text. You can have a 1900's style lesson at school, visit the village hall and listen to an old mining band, or you can sit and get warm by the fire as you listen to 1940's radio play. It's definitely an experience I'd recommend.

Beamish Museum TransportTram StopBeamish BusWaiting for the TramGeeseDanny BoyWee BirdsMetal ScrapsHay ThereBarrelCattlePiggy

The greatest thing about Beamish is that tickets are annual. Once you've paid, your ticket is valid for 12 months and you can visit as often as you like. The museum has a range of different things on each month so the park is never boring to visit. I can't wait for summer because I'll definitely head back to take advantage of the picnic areas and the gorgeous views. That's really what this post is all about as despite the grey, freezing cold, overcast weather, I did get a few photos that I thought truly showed how lovely the place is.

TractorBarnCarBeamish Home1940's HomeShelter

As I said, I had a really great visit and so much so, this post is going to be in two parts. When writing this post, I was trying my hardest to whittle down the photos I chose to add but I just can't - I really want to add to this blog how wonderful this place is, so if you're interested and I haven't bored you to death, stay tuned for part two which will being coming soon!


- A.
Follow me on Bloglovin'
Twitter & Instagram xo

© NB • Theme by Maira G.